> This Pair Of Switches Cost More Than All The Switches In Tom's Houses Combined

Pages: 1

........................................................................

Spanky
#1 2019-10-13 19:48:16

This Pair Of Switches Cost More Than All The Switches In Tom's Houses Combined

Me? Lutron FTW! All non-smart switches in my house are Lutron. All my GFCIs are Lutron. All of my 20A outlets are Lutron. All of my switchable outlets are Lutron. The only non-Lutron devices are my non-switchable 15A outlets, which are in the process of being upgraded.

Tom? Decades-old builder-grade switches set to burn his houses down at any moment.



CIWorks_49856597.jpg

........................................................................

Dot5
#2 2019-10-13 20:41:52

Re: This Pair Of Switches Cost More Than All The Switches In Tom's Houses Combined

WOW! Mighty impressive.

Not really.

........................................................................

Suck it Liberals!
#3 2019-10-13 20:44:49

Re: This Pair Of Switches Cost More Than All The Switches In Tom's Houses Combined

I JUST BLEW MY LOAD!!!

........................................................................

MonotremeMinister
#4 2019-10-13 20:58:14

Re: This Pair Of Switches Cost More Than All The Switches In Tom's Houses Combined

opulence!!

........................................................................

Phillip_McCavity
#5 2019-10-13 21:01:52

Re: This Pair Of Switches Cost More Than All The Switches In Tom's Houses Combined

I went back to mechanical thermostats after blowing multiple programmable ones.

........................................................................

Dot5
#6 2019-10-13 21:31:38

Re: This Pair Of Switches Cost More Than All The Switches In Tom's Houses Combined

Phillip_McCavity wrote:

I went back to mechanical thermostats after blowing multiple programmable ones.

The best ones even to this day have a mercury switch. 169% reliable, simple, no fuss no muss. Honeywell. Too bad they're unavailable now.

........................................................................

Dot5
#7 2019-10-13 21:36:08

Re: This Pair Of Switches Cost More Than All The Switches In Tom's Houses Combined

I just cumbed! I was fantasizing about mercury vapor rectifiers.

........................................................................

#8 2019-10-13 22:01:18

Re: This Pair Of Switches Cost More Than All The Switches In Tom's Houses Combined

Dot5 wrote:

The best ones even to this day have a mercury switch. 169% reliable, simple, no fuss no muss. Honeywell. Too bad they're unavailable now.

Where? I haven't seen a mercury switch in 20 years.

........................................................................

#9 2019-10-13 22:03:00

Re: This Pair Of Switches Cost More Than All The Switches In Tom's Houses Combined

Phillip_McCavity wrote:

I went back to mechanical thermostats after blowing multiple programmable ones.

This job it sucks, senior.
   \

........................................................................

RockHardConservative
#10 2019-10-13 22:21:26

Re: This Pair Of Switches Cost More Than All The Switches In Tom's Houses Combined

I usually buy Lutron as well.  Nice switches.

........................................................................

Tom Leykis
#11 2019-10-14 00:32:38

Re: This Pair Of Switches Cost More Than All The Switches In Tom's Houses Combined

RockHardConservative wrote:

I usually buy Lutron as well.  Nice switches.

I've been installing Lutron dimmers lately, now that they're available at HD.  Leviton is good as well.  Hubbell is a brand I will no longer buy.

I seem to be living in somebody's head, rent free.

........................................................................

#12 2019-10-14 00:33:41

Re: This Pair Of Switches Cost More Than All The Switches In Tom's Houses Combined

$20 switches.  Whoop de do.

........................................................................

Spanky
#13 2019-10-14 00:54:42

Re: This Pair Of Switches Cost More Than All The Switches In Tom's Houses Combined

Phillip_McCavity wrote:

I went back to mechanical thermostats after blowing multiple programmable ones.

We have two Nests. They work well.

........................................................................

Spanky
#14 2019-10-14 00:56:00

Re: This Pair Of Switches Cost More Than All The Switches In Tom's Houses Combined

wrote:

$20 switches.  Whoop de do.

Your house is going to burn down.

........................................................................

#15 2019-10-14 01:07:58

Re: This Pair Of Switches Cost More Than All The Switches In Tom's Houses Combined

Spanky wrote:

Your house is going to burn down.

Says the guy with 500o watts of stereo equipment in a closet rigged to themral switches for cooling.

........................................................................

Spanky
#16 2019-10-14 01:42:50

Re: This Pair Of Switches Cost More Than All The Switches In Tom's Houses Combined

wrote:

Says the guy with 500o watts of stereo equipment in a closet rigged to themral switches for cooling.

........................................................................

Tom Leykis
#17 2019-10-14 01:56:26

Re: This Pair Of Switches Cost More Than All The Switches In Tom's Houses Combined

Spanky wrote:

Your house is going to burn down.

Probably not.  Even El Cheapo "builder's special" switches and outlets meet UL or ETL requirements.  No, if his house is going to burn down, it's going to be lack of maintenance (replacements), improper installation, or negligence on the outside of the outlet.

If you choose 20 Amp outlets and switches, you are way ahead of the game. 

If you want to impress me, show me 20 Amp outlets with a green dot, indicating Hospital Grade.  Plug in an outlet tester, showing me that it's correctly wired.

Until then, don't waste my time.

........................................................................

Spanky
#18 2019-10-14 02:11:47

Re: This Pair Of Switches Cost More Than All The Switches In Tom's Houses Combined

Tom Leykis wrote:

Probably not.  Even El Cheapo "builder's special" switches and outlets meet UL or ETL requirements.  No, if his house is going to burn down, it's going to be lack of maintenance (replacements), improper installation, or negligence on the outside of the outlet.

If you choose 20 Amp outlets and switches, you are way ahead of the game. 

If you want to impress me, show me 20 Amp outlets with a green dot, indicating Hospital Grade.  Plug in an outlet tester, showing me that it's correctly wired.

Until then, don't waste my time.

We have building codes in this liberal paradise. Outlets aren't wired wrong. Ever. It would fail inspection.

........................................................................

#19 2019-10-14 02:15:01

Re: This Pair Of Switches Cost More Than All The Switches In Tom's Houses Combined

Spanky wrote:

Your house is going to burn down.

CBS Homes do not burn down.  Sorry you cannot afford.

........................................................................

#20 2019-10-14 02:16:02

Re: This Pair Of Switches Cost More Than All The Switches In Tom's Houses Combined

Spanky wrote:

We have building codes in this liberal paradise. Outlets aren't wired wrong. Ever. It would fail inspection.

You think inspectors check ever outlet? 

........................................................................

Tom Leykis
#21 2019-10-14 02:34:43

Re: This Pair Of Switches Cost More Than All The Switches In Tom's Houses Combined

wrote:

You think inspectors check ever outlet? 

I had an insurance inspector do that once at Adventure HQ, when it was Alarm HQ.  He told me that he had NEVER inspected a building where EVERY outlet was wired correctly.

On the same topic, the LAST item I reviewed for the Home Depot SEEDS program, was a power outlet center.  I discovered that it was incorrectly wired:  When plugged into a properly wired outlet, the hot and neutral WAS REVERSED!

I wrote a review pointing this out - even with pictures - which was a bad review.  It was rejected, and my participation in the program has been suspended since June.

........................................................................

Spanky
#22 2019-10-14 02:40:03

Re: This Pair Of Switches Cost More Than All The Switches In Tom's Houses Combined

Tom Leykis wrote:

I had an insurance inspector do that once at Adventure HQ, when it was Alarm HQ.  He told me that he had NEVER inspected a building where EVERY outlet was wired correctly.

On the same topic, the LAST item I reviewed for the Home Depot SEEDS program, was a power outlet center.  I discovered that it was incorrectly wired:  When plugged into a properly wired outlet, the hot and neutral WAS REVERSED!

I wrote a review pointing this out - even with pictures - which was a bad review.  It was rejected, and my participation in the program has been suspended since June.

I warned you they only wanted patsies.

........................................................................

RockHardConservative
#23 2019-10-14 02:44:46

Re: This Pair Of Switches Cost More Than All The Switches In Tom's Houses Combined

Tom Leykis wrote:

I had an insurance inspector do that once at Adventure HQ, when it was Alarm HQ.  He told me that he had NEVER inspected a building where EVERY outlet was wired correctly.

On the same topic, the LAST item I reviewed for the Home Depot SEEDS program, was a power outlet center.  I discovered that it was incorrectly wired:  When plugged into a properly wired outlet, the hot and neutral WAS REVERSED!

I wrote a review pointing this out - even with pictures - which was a bad review.  It was rejected, and my participation in the program has been suspended since June.

Damn, they are some motherfuqers.

........................................................................

Tom Leykis
#24 2019-10-14 02:52:38

Re: This Pair Of Switches Cost More Than All The Switches In Tom's Houses Combined

RockHardConservative wrote:

Damn, they are some motherfuqers.

Easy come, easy go, I guess.  I got some nice stuff to review, like the dishwasher we got last November.  I hate to give up my seniority in the program, but I won't file a false review.

........................................................................

Caitlyn Dolezal
#25 2019-10-14 03:16:11

Re: This Pair Of Switches Cost More Than All The Switches In Tom's Houses Combined

Dot5 wrote:

I just cumbed! I was fantasizing about mercury vapor rectifiers.

There was a huge mercury arc system at the Sakuma B2B HVDC converter in Japan (used to connect the 50Hz and 60Hz power grids together) - it was decommissioned in the early '90s and replaced with some boring thryristor system, but I managed to see it back when it was running.  The valve stack was about 30 ft tall and fed with 12-phase power and the filtering was done using a pair of huge inductors.

OK, 300MW is not really high power by modern standards, but it was pretty impressive for 1965 technology.

The new system uses light-triggered thryistors and about half the converter hall is empty - I'm sure it's more reliable/more efficient/lower maintenance, etc., etc. - but it just lacks in visual appeal.

........................................................................

Pages: 1