> Does the elimination of racism begin with private employers having a zero tolerance policy for racist employees?

Pages: 1 2 3

........................................................................

Sockpuppet
#51 2019-08-08 00:39:08

Re: Does the elimination of racism begin with private employers having a zero tolerance policy for racist employees?

BritneySpearsPussy wrote:

What about those black folks who hate anyone of a darker shade than they are?  (See Spike Lee's "Do the Right Thing" to see an almost dictionary definition of racism in the black community.)  Are they racist?  Or how about German jews who consider themselves much more cultured and superior than the shtetl jews of Eastern Europe?  Or those Japanese who think that Koreans are a much lower form of humanity and should be enslaved?

We just don't know where you would draw the lines here fat boy.  Obviously you only care about racism in the white world, but everyone's a little bit racist.

I am perfectly okay with terminating for all racist speech.

........................................................................

BritneySpearsPussy
#52 2019-08-14 03:06:31

Re: Does the elimination of racism begin with private employers having a zero tolerance policy for racist employees?

Like your opinion matters.

........................................................................

Throbbing Justice
#53 2019-08-14 03:12:58

Re: Does the elimination of racism begin with private employers having a zero tolerance policy for racist employees?

Sockpuppet wrote:

This could be one advantage of at-will employment.

Since, in most states, an employer can fire an employee for any reason or no reason at all, an approach to ending racism could be to fire anybody who does anything even remotely racist. That would include both words and actions. And it would include racist acts both in the workplace or outside of work in private life. Post a racist meme on a message board? Fired. Make a racist joke at happy hour? Fired. Go to a white nationalist rally? Fired.

This would basically introduce a free-market economic incentive to not be a racist.

What's the incentive for employers to fire otherwise qualified people, take on the risk of lawsuits, and eat the cost of hiring and training replacements?  They gain nothing to the bottom line.  Companies want to proclaim they have zero tolerance for racism, they don't want the cost of actually implementing it.

........................................................................

Sockpuppet
#54 2019-08-14 03:25:04

Re: Does the elimination of racism begin with private employers having a zero tolerance policy for racist employees?

Throbbing Justice wrote:

What's the incentive for employers to fire otherwise qualified people, take on the risk of lawsuits, and eat the cost of hiring and training replacements?  They gain nothing to the bottom line.  Companies want to proclaim they have zero tolerance for racism, they don't want the cost of actually implementing it.

It will increase revenue for the companies that do it. As critical mass is reached it will be a major negative to not have such a policy.

........................................................................

Universal_Asshole
#55 2019-08-14 03:30:11

Re: Does the elimination of racism begin with private employers having a zero tolerance policy for racist employees?

Sockpuppet wrote:

This could be one advantage of at-will employment.

Since, in most states, an employer can fire an employee for any reason or no reason at all, an approach to ending racism could be to fire anybody who does anything even remotely racist. That would include both words and actions. And it would include racist acts both in the workplace or outside of work in private life. Post a racist meme on a message board? Fired. Make a racist joke at happy hour? Fired. Go to a white nationalist rally? Fired.

This would basically introduce a free-market economic incentive to not be a racist.

Most if the larger employers have harassment policies banning racist and sex-based harassment.

Next!

........................................................................

Throbbing Justice
#56 2019-08-14 03:36:46

Re: Does the elimination of racism begin with private employers having a zero tolerance policy for racist employees?

Sockpuppet wrote:

It will increase revenue for the companies that do it. As critical mass is reached it will be a major negative to not have such a policy.

I don't buy it.  Every company has a policy like that already.  They don't apply it unless they have to.  And it's not like people are going to keep track of internal conditions at hundreds of different companies they buy from.  Do you know how strictly they enforce policy against internal racism at Nabisco, or Toyota, or GoDaddy?  Neither do I. 

If there were a critical mass then maybe, but that rarely happens without government regulation.  Until then, it's only added costs and risks for companies that do it, and zero increased revenue.

........................................................................

IrishTroll
#57 2019-08-14 03:42:03

Re: Does the elimination of racism begin with private employers having a zero tolerance policy for racist employees?

Sockpuppet wrote:

This could be one advantage of at-will employment.

Since, in most states, an employer can fire an employee for any reason or no reason at all, an approach to ending racism could be to fire anybody who does anything even remotely racist. That would include both words and actions. And it would include racist acts both in the workplace or outside of work in private life. Post a racist meme on a message board? Fired. Make a racist joke at happy hour? Fired. Go to a white nationalist rally? Fired.

This would basically introduce a free-market economic incentive to not be a racist.

Is this the problem? Assholes posting here have NEVER worked for private companies?

........................................................................

Pages: 1 2 3